Friday, April 1, 2022

How I Spent 3 Hours Fighting For Half A Second

 I know what you're thinking... the math doesn't add up with that title. But when you're editing, I can assure you that it somehow makes sense. When I wrote my last blog post on Wednesday, I figured that I was essentially done with editing my film opening, and saw it fit to send it out to some of my friends to get some peer review.

    Almost immediately, a glaring issue was brought to my attention. During a close up of hand sanitizer, I realized that a few frames had gone missing during my exporting of the video. Just a few frames, no problem right? That's what I thought, until I realized that this [half a second] blip out of existence messed up my graphic match shot, and transition between the two settings.

Not only did this missing bit ruin a crucial shot in my opening, but it also proved to be ridiculously difficult to fix. Every time that I checked the Openshot file, it showed everything working as intended, but it would once again reappear once I exported it, leading to me making about 5 copies of the same video in vain, costing me 40 minutes going in circles.\

    I was ready to throw in the towel and try recreating the entire thing from scratch on a different editing system, but in my frustration I was saved by my sister, Sofia, who offered to take a look at it. Sofia is much more familiar with editing videos than I am, and was the only person I knew who had experience in Openshot editing, since most of my friends use Adobe Premiere.

    It took the two of us about 2 hours going back and forth trying to find the issue with the clip, fixing what we thought the problem was, and exporting yet another flawed copy. However, my sister had the idea of just opening a different project file and editing the two graphic match shots together separate from the rest of the video. This stroke of genius was exactly the solution we were looking for, and ended our frenzied troubleshooting session.

    So last night I uploaded my final cut of the video (for real this time), and have it sitting on private mode, which I plan to undo on Monday. It was a huge weight off of my shoulders knowing that there's nothing left to do on the actual opening, so I could direct my full attention to the CCR, which I had been chipping away at writing in class, after school, and deep into the night. Today, I read through my script on a dry run (not organized nor stylized, it was just me laying out my answers) and it ended up being about 11 minutes. If I had to guess, this could be cut down to 10 minutes if I had rehearsed a little bit before reading (there were a lot of stumbles and pauses), and maybe 9 minutes if I cut down some redundant text and stylized the script to feel more casual and interesting to watch, instead of just being a bunch of word vomit.

    After I publish this blog I intend to go through these quirks in the script so that tomorrow I can record the audio and make some visual aides to go along with the reflection. I'll probably combine the blogs for recording the CCR and editing it into one mega blog on Sunday night.

I'll see you then, when I have some CCR news to report on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've Moved Blogs!

 Read my new blog here ! This blog will remain untouched and barren! Go to the new blog!